Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pessimism


October 28, 2012



Pessimism



I guess I'm just a pessimist. I don't see a rosy future for our country and our people. Our high school students know less and less and seem to be proud of that. I've lectured in a university near here and I can testify that the freshmen/sophomores are often woefully unprepared for university studies, at least so I believe. The present recession promises to hang on for at least another four years - not surprising since the Great Depression did not end in the U.S.A. until 1942. And like the aftermath of the Great Depression, our economy is changing, in what direction I know not, but it is re-aligning, reacting to the new pressures of a global economy. All this means that unemployment will remain at historic highs with the concomitant decrease in tax revenues, which means even less money for schools, roads, sewers and other infrastructure.

Yes, the future does not seem rosy.

No comments:

Post a Comment